Have you taken time to take stock of what you find challenging in managing a volunteer program? Do your colleagues face the same? Are there some common challenges that have arisen that are common for our field? What are some of the opportunities that we can embrace to address some of these challenges?
Below is a list of what I think are a few rising or persistent challenges and some opportunities that are worth addressing this year.
Maybe this is an opportunity to build some short term and long term strategies to address these.
- Recruitment and succession planning
- Staff and volunteer relations
- Looking at roles that impact clients and how to work with staff
- Types of volunteers and roles (retention)
- Internal and external engagement
- Building partnerships both internal and external
- Raising the profile through innovation
- Using social media to attract different volunteers
- Collaboration through team building
- Using tools to measure activities and evaluate the cost
- Using technology to educate volunteers, staff and patients
- Working with programs and management to raise internal profile
Ideas for strategies: